How to cite an article in an essay
Different types of citing an article in an essay
Citation is a way to identify the source of information that you have used in your research. Any ideas, articles, or opinions taken from other sources should be referenced if used in the research text. To use graphic information such as movies, TV shows, and online resources, as in other cases, the referencing must be done correctly. There are different types of reference writing; depending on the type of research work or the publication in which you intend to publish your research, you should choose the correct method of reference writing. In this article, we are going to deal with how to cite an article in an essay and its different types. How to cite an article varies depending on the journal in which you intend to publish the article, and authors should use the journal’s authors’ guide.
Table of contents
- Different types of citing an article in an essay
- Choosing the right way to cite an article in an essay
- Suggested posts related to How to cite an article in an essay
Choosing the right way to cite an article in an essay
The appropriate method of referencing varies between different journals and universities. So to choose the right way to cite your articles, refer to the university essay writing guide or the journal in which you intend to publish the article. In the following, we will refer to different types of references. Then we will mention the most common way of referencing the article.
Harvard reference writing
Harvard-style referencing, also known as in-text referencing. It has two general elements: in-text referencing and a list of references cited at the end of the article.
In-text referencing consists of three pieces of information about the source that you used in writing your text.
- Name of the author or authors of the cited article or book.
- Year of publication of the cited source.
- Content page number referenced in the original source. (when information or ideas on a particular page of the source are used).
List of referenced sources
At the end of your essay, you should assign a page or pages to the list of sources used in your research. This list should include all the sources of information that you have already cited in the research text.
- Each list should contain specific information about the items (details and examples can be included on other pages).
- The list of references must be arranged in alphabetical order (according to the name of the source author).
- The source title should be written in italics.
Reference writing by APA method
APA or American Psychological Association references, such as Harvard references, have two general elements: in-text references and a list of references cited at the end of the article.
References within the research text
This item contains information from sources that you have used within your text. And should be listed in the reader with the following three things. (In this method of referencing inside the text. Immediately after quoting a sentence from another scientific document, the source information in parentheses should be mentioned).
- Name of the author or authors of the source.
- Source publication year.
- Content page cited in the original source.
References at the end of the essay
At the end of your essay, make a list of all the sources used in your research. Start writing the list on a new page of research, and name the page “References.”
Each item must contain private information. For example, to refer to a book, this information includes “author and publisher name, year of publication, book title, issue number, and place of publication.”
Arrange each item in alphabetical order. Titles should be typed in a curved line. Also, make sure that all items listed in the final list are included in the research text.
Bibliographic or footnote reference
There are two general elements to bibliographic reference. Writing a footnote in the research text and preparing a bibliographic list or resource list at the end of the research.
- Footnote: A footnote, sometimes known as a note, is a phrase written at the bottom of the page. As its name implies.
- List of sources at the end of the research: In this method of reference writing, you should prepare a bibliographic list or list of referenced sources at the end of the research text.
In bibliographic reference writing, you should observe the following:
- To write a footnote, put a small number next to the text you want in the research. And enter the reference for the numbered text in the footnote or at the bottom of the page.
- Note that the source number in the footnote matches the corresponding text number.
Vancouver reference writing
In Vancouver referencing, which is another type of numerical referencing, you must assign a specific number to the text of your research that you intend to refer to the main article or article. If you have cited a specific source more than once, the numbers for these two items should be the same. The numbers are in italics or in parentheses in front of the relevant text. At the end of the research, the sources related to each issue will be named in order.
If you have used multiple sources in writing a sentence, you should write the number for each source with a comma and in parentheses.
If you want to mention the author’s name in the text, the relevant source number must also be mentioned in the text. Also, if one of the sources has more than one author, the names of the next authors are titled “et al.”
If you want to include the same sentences used in a book or article in your essay, please note the following:
- Be sure to use the quotation mark.
- The use of the same text is not allowed except in very few cases within the text, and this action may lead to a crime called plagiarism.
The way the article is referenced, as mentioned, is different for different journals and universities. Students who intend to publish an article in a specific journal should refer to the principles of essay writing. And how to cite an article in an essay on the journal site and find and follow the accepted citation of the journal. Also, students who intend to prepare an article for a university. If they do not find the right style and the correct way of referencing on the university website, should ask their supervisor. The most common way of referencing an article seems to be in the APA method; however, the opinion of the magazine’s publishers will be a priority.
Best Essay Writing Service at WriteMyEssay247.com